Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Adventures in Shopping

Today I had a very fun trip to Barrie to go shopping with my dad. He was very patient while I looked at clothes and didn't do any stereotypical things that you'd expect dads to do. It was like good friends hanging out.

I discovered something shopping today though. I am a cheap when it comes to clothes. I already knew it. The thing is though I somehow spend a lot of money on lots of things but now looking at clothes makes me feel bad.

YWAM did it too me. $15 for a skirt seemed like too much today so I didn't get it. $15 could buy three mosquito nets treated with bug repellent for children in Africa so they will be protected from diseases like Malaria and Yellow Fever. Do I really need a skirt?

Don't think for a second that I am good at this stuff. I didn't buy the skirt but I spent $50 on two CDs today. That would buy mosquito nets for 10 children. But instead I bought CDs because the 2,000 songs I have already just don't cut it anymore. I'm tired of them or something.

I'm not saying spending money is evil. God made money and He can use it for good. It's when I feel I need something that worries me. Do I really need new songs more then the kids in Africa need a mosquito net to keep them healthy?

The thing is too, I asked God if I should buy the CDs and I'm not 100% sure He said yes. My mind wanted that answer so badly that I couldn't hear anything beyond myself.

If you don't believe me about the mosquito net thing go here and see for yourself. Every 30 seconds a child dies from Malaria.

I could have stopped 10 children from getting sick today, but instead I bought new songs. The thing is I'm not really that torn up about it.
If I was I'd take them back tomorrow, and I probably won't.

2 comments:

cathforeva said...

bud don't be too hard on yourself but i see what you mean! i mean just that it's good to reconsider what we north americans buy!
love yah sis

~*Trisha*~ said...

Hey Emmels,
It was so good to see you this weekend. You are such a blessing to my life. Lets have another sleepover again soon!